Rails & Trails Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Great River Bike Trail Ride

On my way to Cedar Rapids for a Convention in late summer, 2006, I biked from East Winona(Marshland) to Onalaska.  This was the abandoned road bed of the CNW.  The first part went through a neat prairie and then it went through a lot of low, marshy area where the road bed had to be built up.  Some of the track also followed very close to the old CB&Q tracks, now BNSF.  Total trip was 26.5 miles.  It was overcast and a little cool but made for good riding. 

The first thing I came to was the large Wildlife Refuge on the shore of the Mississippi River.




 
Crossing old railroad bridges is always a fun part of a bike ride.
 
I am on the bike trail, the old CNW grade.  Below me is the BNSF mainline track.  I'm almost in Onalaska and the end of this ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment